Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Whispering Southern Breeze...



I can't believe how fast the weeks are flying by! I think that working two jobs and applying to law schools and also trying to have a personal life just makes the days and nights blink by.

I went up to Oxford this weekend under the pretenses of going to the Alabama game, but in reality I just wanted to see Faison, Leigh, and a few other friends of mine. Faison once again opened up her home to my nomadic ways and I got to meet her parents! I had met her mother when we went to pick out bridesmaid dresses for her wedding, but this was my first time meeting her dad. He and his Great Bushy Beard intimidated me for about two seconds, and then I realized that he's actually a very cool guy. In fact, we share a hobby: polishing silver. He spent a good deal of time polishing up a beautiful platter and dispenser on Friday night for his homemade Bloody Mary mix the next day.




We all spent the day at the Graves' tent on Saturday and I can say that it was one of my top Groving experiences at Ole Miss. Everyone knows that I'm kind of weird about alcohol and the crazy sorority-fraternity interplay that happens in the Grove, and since I have such a small, tight group of friends, the enormity of it all and the wandering through tents is a bit overwhelming for me. But I think that because we were further away from the epicenter of the Grove, and because I am now a holier-than-thou alumna, it was a LOT of fun.

Leigh and I went off to the Library to watch the game. It was honestly a bit distracting, what with the cute bartenders and the couple from Alabama having an argument next to me. We got slaughtered, and that was expected and all, but once the Alabama people started getting super rowdy, we PTFOed. Luckily, the game was over and Faison and BJ and her parents had shown up, so we went off to City Grocery. Bobby Joe had found a pair of joke glasses that have the big nose attached and he wore them all. night. long. My most amusing conversation was with an acquaintance twice removed about how he had dated a jockey that was just over the wrong side of #bougie and WASPy.



We had all gotten split up as Faison took her parents home and Colby went to see Cold War Kids at the Lyric and BJ went off with Jose to Parrish's, but as Leigh and I waited for Faison to pick us up and take us home, we were almost witnesses to a domestic disturbance on the Square. Annoying arguments I can deal with, but when the girl is cursing out her boyfriend and he is just STARING silently at her, I start to get a bit worried, so when Beowulf whipped around the Square, Leigh and I lept inside to avoid that trainwreck.

What I've learned this weekend:

-Bloody Marys taste good. Like, heyyyy, new fave. I'm definitely going to be the sassy lady in the nursing home who has "tomato juice" with her oatmeal at breakfast.
-I have fabulous and hilarious friends (duh):



-I really don't need to mix liquors, even in small amounts
-I have zero shame in asking for help with writing (Thanks, Mr. Graves!)
-NutriSystem actually tastes kind of good--the Apple Struedel Breakfast Bar, at least!

NP: "I Found a Boy," Adele.
Nail Polish: Hong Kong Sunrise, OPI
Tea: Errp, it's Diet Dr. Pepper tonight, kidz.

2 comments:

  1. love your pictures!! and it was a great weekend :) so glad you could come up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bahaha I LOVE how you call the car BEOWULF! I completely forget sometimes that the front plate is on my car. Love you dearly, and miss you more!

    ReplyDelete