Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Is this what being an adult feels like?

I've been watching NCIS on USA for, like, four hours now. I find Tony DiNozzo simultaneously irritating and attractive. Why is it always the smarmy guyz?

But yeah. Four hours. Like, since I got home from work/the grocery and I decided that HGTV didn't have anything interesting on. (Sorry, Leigh, but unless it's a couger moving to FL, I really can't get into House Hunters.) And this isn't the type of TV marathon that usually accompanies a tense feeling of procrastination, which has been the case almost my entire life. No, this is the type of TV marathon that accompanies being sprawled out after a long day. It's a nice feeling, actually.

I made a sweet potato and baked chicken sprinkled with salt, garlic salt, cumin, chili powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg. It's actually a really good combination and it smelled heavenly. However, the bone disappeared from my plate--I suspect a certain Boxer mix as the culprit. Of course, we just paid an ungodly amount of money on an exploratory surgery for our other dog that most likely came about from eating questionable objects, so now I'm freaking out and hoping that Aryx doesn't end up with some sort of blockage because he's a fatty that can't turn down people food.

I started my internship today. Not horribly exciting. Because I'm in consumer protection and because the legislative session starts in January, I've been assigned the task of researching consumer protection legislation in the other 49 states passed within the last two years. So from 11 AM to 4 PM, I sat in the "work area" and skimmed through the titles of every. bill. introduced to state legislatures in the last two years in Virginia, California, and North Carolina. In California, more than 1,000 bills were proposed in 2011. My eyes were burning by 2:30 PM.

What I've learned so far:
-Lawyers like to keep their doors closed.
-When you go to the breakroom, that lady reading her book and eating will definitely ignore you while you eat your apple and granola bar and awkwardly read CNN on your iPhone because you didn't bring your own reading material.
-I really like the sound of typing. I might hit the keys harder than necessary because it adds a certain...authority. (And because I'm bored.)
-I need invisible sweats to go on under my dresses. It was freezing.
-I should have broken in my new flats before wearing them today. Ouchie.
-Don't live-stream on the internet. Because if you're that guy who live-streams world cup football and it interferes with your work, HR will make a special page for new people to sign saying that they won't live stream. Seriously. It was an empty page except for "DO NOT LIVE STREAM ON GOVERNMENT COMPUTERS" in huge block letters in the middle. Lolz.
-Words will start swimming if you stare at them too long.
-Sentences actually can run for ten lines. But halfway through, you forget what the actual subjects and verbs were, so you have to start over again.
-Someone needs to make cliffnotes for state legislatures.

I had to get an ID badge, but it doesn't open any doors. So I still have to go through security every day. Also, my picture looks like my mom. I wish I could understand why my hair always looks so poofy in pictures. It's annoying to where I want to grow it out because I look like I have a Bump It somewhere in there. (I don't.) I felt a bit like I was playing dress up, though this was probably because my dress is a bit too long and the cardigan I picked out didn't have a cropped waist to make up for the extra length.

I'm compensating for all of this ~adultness by painting my toenails purple: Rumple's Wiggin by OPI. At some point I'm going to put Hong Kong Sunrise by OPI onto my fingers, as it's my go-to pink-orange-gold color, but not tonight. I did file them down, though. I've been taking a multivitamin with keratin and they're like, shooting out of their nail beds these days. Crazy! I just want strong nails, not secretary-lady nails!!!

Tonight's tea: Plantation Mint with some green cardamom pods. Yummmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment