Tuesday, January 24, 2012

What I'm Loving Wednesday

It's Wednesday! Hump-Day! Middle-of-the-Week Day! I hope that you're having a good week so far, like I am!

I'm linking up with Jamie's weekly "What I'm Loving" post this week because...well...I have the time, haha! And because there are a few things that I really HAVE been loving.

1) Lisa Eldridge's amazing video on Marilyn Monroe's makeup. According to Lisa, there was much more to Marilyn's look than her signature red lip, and she demonstrates on her model how Marilyn and her makeup artist, Allan Snyder, essentially turned her face into a living, breathing optical illusion. Skin prep, contouring, highlighting, and even a tricky little smudge of brown liner under her lower lashes all played an important role in creating Marilyn's look. I think it's absolutely fascinating, and Lisa really, really knows her stuff on this one!



Relatedly, I love all of Lisa's makeup videos. She's a famous makeup artist in the UK and has done makeup for the red carpet and magazine spreads in Vogue, Glamour UK, and so on. Check her out!

2) Reasons to Be Fit, a tumblr dedicated exclusively to, well, reasons to be fit! Text overlies images of super-fit women, so it's a major visual impact! My favorite reasons thus far have been:

Because my body is my temple.
To not feel the pain of atrophy.
'Cause it all comes down to survival of the fittest
To make sure that I don't carry on the Diabetes in my family
To do amazing things with my body
To KNOW you can escape the murderers in horror movies (<--This one made me laugh and is so valid!!)


In a similar vein, there is a tumblr totally dedicated to fitness goals, or a fitness bucket list.

3) My dog. Duh. But this week I've been noticing how good he is with our other pets. He's a boxer mix, so he's very tactile; he likes to lean up against people and snuggle with other animals. Here's some photographic proof:

With my mother's dog, Scout


With my cat, HRH Skittles, Queen of the Mississippi


With my dog-in-law (my brother's girlfriend's dog), Captain


So, this week, I'm loving what a sweet, loving dog-friend he is to everyone!

4) Eating clean! I'm trying to make a very conscious effort to be aware of what. I. am. putting. into. my. body. I love working out, and I'm noticing the tone that I'm acquiring through my arms and legs as I get further down the NTC road, but omg I have GOT to stop eating crap. This week I have been better about making some awesome smoothies, some awesome sandwiches with veggies instead of pickles and hummus instead of mayonnaise, and some awesome TEA. Green tea, mint tea, all of it is "Go" in my book. I'm also nursing a massive glass of water at this moment. And for breakfast this morning, I made oatmeal with egg whites and a bunch of spices to get my body "warmed up" for the day. I just have to make sure that this becomes a habit, not a fling!

Evidence of Awesomeness
V8 Splash, baby spinach, kiwi, frozen strawberries, some vanilla NutriSystem powder, and greek yogurt. Mmm!


5) Etta James. I just happened to get her Millenium Hits CD for Christmas, and I've been listening to it since. Now that she's passed away, it seems to be on constant repeat. What a woman! You just can't beat At Last or Something's Got a Hold on Me.

And 6) Hayao Miyazaki movies. Call me a nerd, but Mr. Miyazaki creates the most breathtaking and bizzare worlds in which to tell his stories. I watched Castle in the Sky this weekend and My Neighbor Totoro is in the mail from Netflix for today. I'm glad I'm finally watching these, because they are the "original" Miyazaki movies. I already own Spirited Away, which is the only non-English movie to ever win an Oscar for Best Animated Picture. My favorite movies, though, are Princess Mononoke and Howl's Moving Castle, which is based on the book of the same name by Diana Wynne Jones (and was also nominated for an Oscar). I highly, highly recommend his work to anyone! It's truly escapist film-making, and the majority of his works, though targeted at children, have very pronounced themes of family, love, and environmentalism.

So what are YOU all loving this week??

4 comments:

  1. Visting from WILW! Love the hummus instead of mayo idea, been thinking of trying that as well! Cute dog! Have a great week! xo Linny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Linny! Thanks for stopping by! I've actually been very pleased with using hummus--I've been smearing it inside pita bread and then stuffing it with turkey, spinach, and sliced red peppers and cucumbers. I'm stuck using the WalMart off-brand right now, but I LOVE Sabra's Roasted Red Pepper Hummus. It's a nice change from the ubiquitous garlic-flavored blends out there!

      Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. That smoothie looks (and sounds) amazing!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how HRH made another appearance on the blog. Nice to know that she is still receiving the credit and title she deserves.

    ReplyDelete