Sunday, January 22, 2012

Tag, you're it!

So, I've been tagged by Faison to do a set of fun facts + questions about myself. I love these, so here I go!

Rules of the game
1. You must post the rules.
2. Post eleven fun facts about yourself.
3. Answer the questions the tagger set for you in their post, then create eleven new people to ask the people you've tagged.
4. Tag eleven people and link them on your post.
5. Let them know you've tagged them!

Eleven Facts about Porter:
1. My first and middle names are family names--my first name is my mother's maiden name, my middle name is one of my great-grandmothers' maiden names. I love them both!
2. I love taking baths. I know a lot of people think that it's ~unhygienic~ but whatever. There is nothing better than steaming hot water + bubbles + tea + candles + a great book. Haters gonna hate.
3. I'm an HGTV sucker, but not in the way that you would think. Yeah, design shows are great and Candice Olsen is a goddess, but I live for construction/renovation shows. Holmes on Homes or Holmes Inspection? I'm in. Property Brothers? Let's get some popcorn. Yard Crashers? Might as well get a blanket, 'cause it's gonna be a long night on the couch. There's just something about watching people tear something down and build it back up again that makes me a happy camper.
4. I cannot understand football for the life of me. I'll watch games, but I'm so indifferent as to what's happening and really don't care about the outcome. Sorry?
5. History was always my favorite subject in school. My fascination is split most intensely among European Medieval/Early-Renaissance history and Ancient Greece and Rome. I also am interested in Colonial America and Ancient China and Japan, although on a lesser scale. I'm also mildly obsessed with Greek/Roman mythology as a result of this. (Aryx, who I named my dog for, is a mythological son of Aphrodite.) So, yes, I have seen 300, Rome, Clash of the Titans, the Odyssey, Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, Troy, and anything remotely mythology related (*cough*Conan*cough*).
6. For some reason, I name all of my inanimate objects Bessie. My car, iPod, and laptop are all nicknamed "Bess" or "Bessie." I have no idea why.
7. Even though I'm almost 23, I love YA fiction. It's a total guilty pleasure.
8. All I really want in life is a comfy sweater and a cottage in the Scottish highlands. Seriously. Even with my law school dreams, I want to end up retiring to somewhere vibrantly green and chilly so that I can wear huge sweaters and have wind-tousled hair blowing every which way.
9. I pierced my own belly button when I was in middle school. Literally. With a safety pin. That was my "cool phase." It's grown together now, but there's still a little scar. Now, we will never speak of this again.
10. If I'm cleaning or cooking or baking, I have to be listening to my Aretha and Etta Pandora station full blast. It always makes me feel super sassy and fabulous.
11. My Netflix queue is 36 movies long. It's a problem.

Faison's Questions:
1. Tea or coffee? Oh, goodness. Honesty time: As much as I love tea of all colors and aromas, it will never be the comfort drink that coffee is for me. I love a massive mug of drip coffee, creamed with half and half, and sweetened with Sweet n' Low. It settles into my bones and calms me down, which is weird because isn't that the opposite of what coffee is supposed to do?
2. What is your favorite place in the world? I loved Italy. I visited with my family in high school and as soon as I saw those tall skinny cyprus trees from the airplane's window, it was love at first sight. When I walked the forum in Rome, I fell head over heels in love. And when I got to Florence and looked up at the Duomo, I was ready to propose. My fate was sealed at a wine tasting in a barn in Luca--I was ready to make beautiful Italian children and chase pigeons with them at St. Mark's Square. Despite this, I studied French in college. Don't worry, I'm smacking myself, too.
3. What did you major in college, or majoring in now? International Studies with a focus on Europe and International Governance and Politics. And French. I'm going to law school next year at the University of Virginia and I'll hopefully be able to focus on international law and try to find a balance between human rights law and national/international security law. It's gonna be fun!
4. If you have your ears pierced, do you prefer studs or dangle earrings? I really prefer dangly earrings, but for work I have to wear studs.
5. What jewelry do you wear daily? Either my silver knot studs my cousin Sarah gave to me for college graduation + 1) my silver starfish necklace my grandmother gave to me after my first play in highschool or 2) a Tiffany heart necklace my little brother gave to me for high school graduation -OR- my gold and black bow studs + my Phi Beta Kappa necklace. Maybe a ring if I feel like it, but I wash my hands so much and they can kind of get in the way.
6. It's Friday night, and you have two choices: stay in and watch a movie or go out on the town. What would you choose? I do like going out, but I just can't turn down a good movie. However, I do like to have people over to watch movies or marathons of TV shows, so I guess it's a happy medium.
7. If you have a day planner or organizer, which one do you have? I have a cute mini Kate Spade planner that Faison gifted me!
8. When you travel, which do you prefer: Traveling by car, train, or plane? The plane is quick, but trains are so easy. I'm looking forward to the train rides between Charlottesville and, oh, the entire northeast.
9. What is your go-to comfort food? Kettlecorn. Salty AND sweet!
10. What was your favorite Christmas/holiday gift that you received this year? My blu-ray player from my parents! I can't realize its ~*full potential*~ just yet, but eventually I will be able to stream Netflix, Youtube, and Pandora onto my TV!
11. Why did you start blogging? I'm going to law school next year in one of the most beautiful regions of the country, and I wanted to get in the habit of blogging so that my family and friends could keep up with me!

MY questions for YOU (explain WHY for all of them!):
1. Sunrise or Sunset?
2. McGonnagall or Snape?
3. Beach house, lake house, or mountain cottage?
4. Fiction or non-fiction?
5. Solid colors or patterns?
6. Book smell or freshly-cut-grass smell?
7. Black and white or color?
8. Cooking or baking?
9. Salty or sweet?
10. Favorite flavor?
11. Why did you start blogging/tumbling?

I don't have eleven blogs to tag, but I'm going to tag who I can!

Leigh at Year One
Matthew at EcoNomics
Rachel at Colorado Rachel
Colby at The Intersection of Order and Chaos

Yeah, sooooo....go for it!!


Ocracoke Island's Harbor, my favorite place to have a beach house

1 comment:

  1. YAY!! I LOVED this! ...bellybutton? what bellybutton piercing? I don't know what you're talking about... :)

    Hurry up and get back to Oxford!! I need some PHW in my life, fo real.

    ReplyDelete